Monday, October 26, 2009

Update 10/26/09

Friends and Family of Paul:

I spoke with my Dad and cousin Kirsten tonight, both reported that Paul is looking better everyday and making small positive signs of improvement. Last night, while friends and family were visiting, the physical therapist began calling his name and asked him to push her hand away as she had it placed against his foot. Paul is still in a very heavily sedated state, but was able to respond to this command by moving a bit and pushing her hand with his foot. My Dad reported that Paul's friend, Yael, told him she was going to make him a big breakfast and asked if he wanted bacon and eggs, to which he nodded his head slightly to say, "No." My mom also asked him if he knew she was there and he nodded slightly, "Yes."

Despite these signs of improvement, the medical team is still emphasizing that we do not know what Paul will be facing when he comes out of the induced coma. He is still in the very early stages and although these responses are considered very positive, they are minor. He is having a major surgery today to repair facial fractures. This may be completed today, but there is a possibility that it will require two surgeries. When he is stable after surgery, they plan to start weaning the sedatives. This will probably be at the end of this week and is a very slow process. They will have to monitor his pressures and if the pressure increases they may have to increase the sedatives.

I will continue to update this daily as I recieve information from my parents.

Thank you for your continued love and support,

Tara

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this blog,Tara.We've been praying for Paul and your family ever since we heard from Jenna. We've been wondering how to contact your folks and here you are! Please let them know we are praying and will put him on our church prayer chain as well. Love to you all!
    Lou & Linda Schimpf

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tara,

    I am also praying for Paul. My parents (Lou and Linda Schimpf) told me about his fall a few days ago. I remember going on vacation with you all to DC I guess we all must have been in middle school? Loved seeing his pictures on the blog. He still looks how I remember him....I will continue to read your updates and be praying specifically for each health issue as it comes along. Peace.

    Aimee Schimpf Riley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a stranger to most of you, but you know Sarah Gaskin and I'm her aunt. I'm telling more people you don't know about Paul to rally all the good thoughts and prayers I can. I so appreciate you, Tara, keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete