Monday, November 30, 2009

11/30/09

To all of our friends and family:

We appreciate all of your thoughts, prayers and kind words. My parents have told me that they have been getting emails that infer that Paul is doing a lot better than he actually is. They asked me to let everyone know that while Paul is making some progress, he has suffered very severe and devastating brain injuries. He may never be the same again. This does not mean we should give up hope, but I need to clarify that I have just been posting what my parents tell me, but I am not there and it is difficult to interpret all of it. Paul still cannot see and is still very disoriented. He has periods where he is oriented; however, that is variable. His friend Amy visited yesterday. I was told that he was alert when she came in and did recognize her voice, knew who she was and hugged her. He was only alert for about five minutes though and then he ran out of gas and went back to sleep.

Having said that, it will be quite some time before we know which of his injuries will be permanent and which may improve. I also want all to know that although he is in “rehab,” this means he is no longer in need of acute hospital care. He has not started the “rehab” process as he still has problems associated with severe traumatic brain injury that are preventing the process from starting such as extreme agitation and sleep/wake cycle disturbances. There is so much that is unknown right now and it is too soon to make any type of prognosis, so we just have to hang tight with what we know at this time and hope for a better future for Paul.

This is a very difficult time for our family and we appreciate all of your prayers and support.

Tara

No comments:

Post a Comment