Tuesday, December 1, 2009

12.1.09

Friends and family:

I have some positive news to spread today. I am learning that this process, much like life, is filled with a lot of ups and downs. Paul is slowly coming out of the amnesia. He seems to be more and more aware every day. My Mom said he had a really good day yesterday. He was not agitated and sat outside with my parents for a short while. He gets tired very quickly, so he can only engage in talking or an activity for about five to ten minutes.

Since many people have been asking me to talk more about the minutiae or small details of Paul's abilities, I will tell you what I know. I was able to get some clarification on his walking ability today. He's been walking down the hall and back with only contact guard or guidance, he does not need physical assistance with walking. As I've mentioned before, some moments he is really alert and aware and others not so much. My Mom said he asked my Dad to take him to the bathroom yesterday and talked to him about the Phillies and the Eagles. He still thinks the Phillies are in the playoffs, but that makes sense as it was around that time that he had the accident. He also talks a lot like he's at work. He'll say things like, "How many kids do we have coming in today?" and he'll say to my parents, "You guys need to leave because I have to go to a team meeting."

A sad note is that he has started to ask about his vision. He knows he can't see, but he doesn't ask why yet. He just says things like, "Mom why are you working in the dark down here?" or "Give me my glasses" or "give me a flashlight, I know I have one in my bag over there" or "turn on the lights." When he does this, the staff told my parents to be honest with him and tell him he can't see right now. When they say that he does not ask why. He has also been perseverating on his arm casts and is difficult to redirect when it comes to this topic. He continuously asks when they will be taken off and at times gets really angry that they are there.

He was medicated last night in order to help him sleep and he seems to be improving with better sleep. He has also started to eat small amounts again.

Tara

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear, I was definitely under the impression that he was doing better than that. My prayers continue to be with Paul and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara -

    Thanks for the update. It is nice to have a real picture of Paul's reality. I've got him in the light.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bunch of Outward Bound folks gathered in Red Rocks, Nevada last week for Thanksgiving. I wanted to let you know that Paul is on our minds and certainly in our hearts. There was much talk of him and we are all thankful for the time that we have been gifted with to spent with him. Everyone is praying for a thorough recovery and sending positive energy to him and his family. We think of him often.

    Trever

    ReplyDelete